It can be a rather daunting task to make a meal when you can’t have dairy or gluten. In the past when thinking about making fish-sticks or chicken nuggets, my chest would tighten and I’d almost start panicking thinking about the prep work involved in something most people consider a very simple, easy meal.
I’d have to make the bread, slice the bread, dry the bread, turn it into crumbs, add seasonings, slice chicken/fish, then coat it in the crumbs and some egg thing, then do we bake them or fry them in oil? Honestly, I’ve never really thought much past the “turn into crumbs” part of the prep before giving up and turning to something else to eat, like an apple.
While wandering the halls of the local Winco I saw a new Gluten-Free Product, 4C Crumbs, Gluten Free, plain flavor. The seasoned flavor has dairy in it, so I have no clue how that would taste in this, or any recipe. I bought a jar and a package of fish. The results were mouthwatering!
First Gather the ingredients.
Set up your work area by placing the flour in one shallow container, the eggs and some water in another, and the breadcrumbs plus some seasonings in the last one.
Slice all your fish.
Spray your pans with non-stick spray. We read about two ways to bake your fish, so we tried them both! If you want your fish sticks to brown at all (they don’t really get much darker) forego the wire elevation.
Then dredge the fish in the flour, dunk them in the eggs and lastly coat them in the seasoned breadcrumbs!
While you’re getting the fish all ready, heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Then bake for 12 minutes a batch. Turning the fish over after 6 minutes.
The above photo was taken after turning the fish sticks, they didn’t change a whole lot color wise, but I think another minute (7 minutes per side) would probably have helped them brown just a bit more.
Our Green-Smoothie Baby really enjoyed her fish sticks!
I was quite surprised by how moist the fish stayed, and I was delighted by the spices we added. Imagine my surprise the next day when sampling the leftovers we stored in the fridge when after heating them up in the microwave they were still moist; the breading was a bit less crunchy, but still way delicious! I even heated up some that we had frozen and they were great too!
I can’t wait to try making some chicken nuggets with these breadcrumbs!
Until the next post!
Gluten-Free Fish Sticks
A delicious, moist gluten-free fish stick!
- 2 lbs Firm-Flesh White Fish, (We used North Pacific Sole)
- 1 1/2 Cups Pamelas All Purpose Flour Blend
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 1/2 Cups 4C Crumbs, Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs, Plain Flavor
- 3 Tsp Old Bay Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 TBS Water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place flour and onion powder in a shallow dish and mix well, then set aside.
- Place eggs and water in another shallow dish, whisk well, then set aside.
- Place bread crumbs and Old Bay garlic & herb seasoning in one more shallow dish, mix well and set aside.
- Slice fish into desired sizes (about 1 inch)
- Dredge fish in flour
- Cover dredged fish in eggs
- Coat fish in bread crumbs
- Set fish on baking sheet that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray (or olive oil)
- Repeat above until all fish has been dredged, covered and coated.
- Bake fish in oven for 12 -14 minutes, turning at the half-way point.
- Serve with your choice of sauce and side (Our favorite sauce to go with fish is tartar sauce)
- Just a Note: 2 lbs is a lot of fish, feel free to cut this recipe in half to only do 1 lb of fish. :)
Check out our new shopping
tab to purchase some items that we frequently use in our gluten/dairy free recipes!