My Nieces and Nephews love Teddy Grahams, but when I or my daughter have snacks with them, we can’t enjoy those delicious little guys without intestinal issues. So I had to find an alternative snack.
Luckily one of my wonderful sisters recently gifted me with a gluten-free recipe book (The Healthy Gluten-Free Life by Tammy Credicott) that had a graham cracker recipe, but it was for large sheets of crackers to be used in s’more making (nothing wrong with s’mores, just not what I was looking for), so I did a little tweaking to the bake time and the result was perfect! My test subjects *cough-cough* I mean my sisters and their children LOVE them! As does my little angel.
Yummy Snack-able Crackers (of the Graham Variety)
3/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Amaranth Flour
1/2 Cup Potato Starch
1/2 Cup Tapioca Starch
1/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Shortening
5-6 TBSP Cold Water
1/4 Cup Honey
2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1. Whisk together dry ingredients.
2. Using your hands or a pastry cutter mix and crumble the shortening into the dry mix until crumbs form.
3. Add 3 Tbsp cold water, honey and vanilla. Stir with a spoon until it comes together and forms a ball. If needed, add another Tbsp or two of cold water.
4. Divide dough in half, form into discs, wrap, and refrigerate 1 hour.
5. Using one disc at a time, roll between 2 pieces of parchment paper to 1/8 inch thickness (can be 1/4 if you want thicker treats, but 1/8 inch works really well too)
6. Remove top parchment paper, using a small cookie cutter cut dough to form small treats, place cut out treats on parchment paper on baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
For more variety try these variations: When treats are fresh out of the oven gently brush honey across the top for more flavor. Or mix 1 Tbsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp sugar in a bowl and sprinkle across the top of the treats before baking.
Baking tip: If you don’t want to spend the time cutting all those tiny treats out, place the rolled out dough on a parchment paper on the cookie sheet and score with a knife into tiny squares and bake for 12-14 minutes and then break them apart after baking for easy small finger snacks. (Like the right side of this photo)
Bonus tip! Make Graham Cracker cups for s’more cups! Melt Enjoy life chocolate to fill the cups with, then top with marshmallow cream!
These treats are going to be around my house all the time! Enjoy your treats!
Brought to you by
irRAWsisitible Gluten-Free Department